Bari is the capital city of the Apulia region, located on the Adriatic Sea in southern Italy. Since 2010, the city has decided to embark on a path to become a true Smart City, focusing on sustainable development and improving the safety and quality of life of its citizens. To implement this ambitious transformation, the M.U.S.I.C.A project for Urban Monitoring through Innovative Solutions for Agile Cities, financed within the framework of the European Regional Development Fund Operational Programme 2007/2013, was introduced. It is an innovative urban tool for monitoring energy, the environment, security and mobility (Urban Control Centre), based on the technological paradigms of Smart City, Big Data, Open Data and Internet of Things.
Aim of the project:
With this project, the city of Bari intends to integrate into a single platform the different subsystems that contribute to urban security and maintenance, boost the existing video surveillance system by switching to a more advanced video analysis logic, digitise and integrate maintenance processes as part of the expanded security management.
KIRETI’s “open system” helped the City of Bari to:
- Improve user experience for operators of existing systems by implementing a centralised control over diverse functions using a single operating interface;
- Facilitate the exchange of data with installed third-party software applications and acquire all data from the “Targa System” license plate readers thanks to its capability of using standard communication protocols and JSON packet exchange;
- Interact directly with the Milestone Image Server to capture all video streams fed by the cameras both in live and playback modes;
- Detect in real-time alert/alarm events based on their assessed security risk;
- Adopt an advanced video analysis by configuring the KIRETI platform to process approximately one third of the available video streams (86 out of 300), where each can be set to detect up to 24 different video analysis criteria (e.g.: intrusion, abandoned objects, wrong driving direction, etc.);
- Transmit event data and information logs directly to the M.U.S.I.C.A. Business Intelligence system.
The KIRETI platform was integrated with an Urban Maintenance module, creating a digital infrastructure for the management of maintenance operations that is flexible and easy to run as it is based entirely on the use of a web device. The City Infrastructure and Networks Office can now supply maintenance companies with special mobile apps through which they can receive service orders, monitor in real time the progress of activities, collect construction site documentation and check compliance with contractual deadlines and quality of completed work.
Thanks to its investment in the KIRETI solution, the Bari City Administration successfully increased urban security and rendered territorial control by local police and other law enforcement agencies more efficient by using more advanced video surveillance systems integrated with all other subsystems. At the same time, also the level of maintenance process management was improved, ensuring greater traceability of maintenance work and greater control over the quality of work performed by contractors.