SWAPPING TUNNEL REPEATERS FOR VODAFONE
Vodafone needed to upgrade and optimise its mobile coverage networks in tunnels. In order not to add to the workload of its operations, Vodafone contracted us, a company with many years of experience in managing turnkey projects, to execute the work.
Tunnel repeaters swapping project:
The project called for the creation of a new network to replace the existing one in order to renew the technological system and thus improve the levels of service reliability, coverage and availability as required by the client, as well as to enable the introduction of new 3G network services, all to be delivered as a turnkey project. The project covered 350 tunnels located throughout Italy along highways and expressways. Actually, SITE could work along most of these roads under a maintenance contract. SITE handled the entire process on its own, delivering a turnkey network.
This is a singular project for Vodafone Omnitel B.V., a company operating under the control of and in coordination with Vodafone Group P.L.C. The network involved is based on a 2G and 3G mobile coverage infrastructure along highways and expressways.
SITE delivered the completed project on time as stipulated in the contract, and to the great satisfaction expressed by the end client, intervening with surgical precision and causing minimal disruption of mobile service. This in turn helped SITE be recognised as one of the leading and most reliable Italian players in this field.
Summing up, the main project steps were:
- Pre swap test drive
- Joint survey with the Vodafone designer
- Drafting kit list
- Ordering accessory materials
- Inspecting materials ordered by Vodafone
- Requesting partial and/or total road closure
- Performing work while road traffic is interrupted
- Removing antennas
- Mounting antennas
- Measuring decoupling and VSWR
- Removing the old equipment and upgrading
- Site infrastructure remediation
- Installing and testing the new system
- Integrating the system into the network and setting its remote supervision
- Civil reclamation work
- Testing making calls
- Post activation test drive
- Testing Ericsson F2 reception
A new network was installed, replacing the old one, facilitating a technological renewal of all systems. The project objectives were achieved, including improving the levels of service reliability, mobile coverage and availability as required by the client, and enabling the introduction of new 3G network services.
The successful completion of this project helped SITE win a new contract for proactive maintenance of mobile coverage equipment in tunnels.
BUILDING TURNKEY HUB FOR VODAFONE
Problem: Vodafone needed to expand the backhaul portions of its network without adding to the workload of its operations, and sought a company with multi-annual experience in managing turnkey projects in the field of mobile site construction.
Project: The project called for the creation of a backhauling network in central-southern Italy consisting of 40 hubs to be integrated into the existing network in order to renew the Vodafone mobile network and improve its levels of reliability and availability. SITE took charge of the entire process, handling it “end-to-end” as a turnkey delivery. The network is based on a transmission infrastructure consisting of Gigabit Ethernet connections using fibre optics and mobile links. This is a project for Vodafone Omnitel B.V., a company operating under the control of and in coordination with Vodafone Group P.L.C. SITE delivered the turnkey project on time as stipulated in the contract, handing over the entire infrastructure to the client, Vodafone. The successful completion of this project helped SITE be recognised as a key national player in this field.
Summing up, the main project steps were:
- Collecting data
- Executing a preliminary design and requesting official permits
- Requesting a power company to set up power supply connections
- Signing contracts with the owners of the affected areas
- Obtaining urban building permits
- Executing a preliminary mobile coverage design maintaining line-of-sight propagation and applying anti-interference measures
- Final civil works plan
- Building the infrastructure
- Acquiring and installing energy supply systems with electrical panel and protection systems
- Acquiring and installing air conditioners
- Fire emergency shelters
- Installing and testing radio links
- Integrating mobile coverage sections with supervising systems
- Testing, certifying and verifying
- Providing technical assistance
- Acceptance of tested site by Vodafone
- Handing the site over to the client
SITE completed the backhauling network in a relatively short time, overseeing the entire process end-to-end. The project was successfully completed, renewing and improving the levels of reliability and availability of the client’s mobile network.